Tuesday, February 14, 2006

On Behalf of my worthy Father

My daughter and my father will be going to Japan this spring. My father hasn't seen Japan in 50 years. Tonight I wrote the people in charge of the Kawai Piano Company in Hamamatsu City, Japan, to see if it would be possible for him to visit.

This has nothing to do with jihad, protests, raging mobs or anything to do with the current state of the world. In Infidelphia, we have other loves and interests. For me, honoring my 70-year old father is just one of them. I really hope he makes this hajj. Alas, for security reasons, I have obscured any information that would identify me, my family, and our locations.

What follows is the letter I wrote on behalf of my father, who can't read this, since he doesn't have the internet.

To whom it may concern,
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is J**** M****** A*****. I am a proud owner of a studio upright Kawai piano, which my father purchased in 1974. He is a professional jazz pianist, (He was inducted into the ********** Jazz Hall of Fame in 1997) a former salesman of Kawai pianos, an accomplished piano tuner, and a piano refurbisher.

My father's name is J*** M******. This year, he will be 70 years of age. He will be visiting the family of I****-san in Yokohama, Japan with his grand daughter E****, this spring from March 22nd to April 4th. When he was a young Airman, in his early 20s, nearly 50 years ago, he was stationed in Okinawa, and learned to speak fluent Japanese. It is a great honor for me, his eldest daughter, to be able to send him on a visit to a country he has come to love as his own, in what may be the last visit of his life.

I was fortunate to be raised by my father. From him, I learned to play the piano. I learned to speak some Japanese, and above all, I learned that Kawai makes one of the finest pianos in the world, and I am proud to own the piano of my childhood.

Our Kawai piano looks and plays like a new piano, and it is because he took such good care of it. I am grateful to him that I will be able to give it to my children when they grow up.

My father asked me to write some one at Kawai, to see if it is possible for him to visit the Kawai factory in Hamamatsu. While he is staying in Yokohama, he would gladly make the trip to your factory, if a visit could be arranged.

My father has no internet, so if you would like to write to me at this email address to let me know if it is possible for him to visit the Kawai piano factory, please feel free to email me at this address: **************@*******.***

I thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I greatly look forward to hearing from you.

Very sincerely yours,
Mrs. JMA, on behalf of my father,
JM.

I realize that blacking out names and such is silly. It is a shame that we live in such strange times. That we live with a cult which shall not be named, who has declared war on music, art, dance, happiness and all people who deign to believe for themselves in opposition to the cult. In essence, the cult which shall not be named has declared war on truth and virtue. We took truth and virtue for granted, and now they are in short supply...along with courage. How long we will have the ability to teach truth, virtue and courage remains to be seen. Time is short. A fuse has been lit, and the rampaging mobs of vilest hate are on the march. Pray.

3 comments:

  1. So your Dad is a jazz musisian - cool!
    You are a very good daughter.
    I wish I could do something for my parents (too late).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skylark9:54 PM

    You dad sounds a wonderful person. My father - who died 20 years ago was similarlyl a very wonderful person- musical ( played Chopin, Mozart, the Andrew' sisters hits) and interested in just about everything from history to hydraulics. It is a wonderful tribute to your father that you are writing this- I sure hope the visit turns out really nice.

    About the cult, butcher's club, oops I mean religion we can't mention- the one thing that could bring us together - music dancing, culturalsharing just isn't there cos' they FORBID it. You can only talk about kebabs and bombs for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, Jauhara ... my dad's a jazz musician too. Piano player. They used to call him "88". (88 keys on a piano) He's in the Jazz Hall of Fame at University of Mississippi.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, say something!