Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thursday Night Haramfest for April 10


Tonight, we are having lasagna. I have altered my usual recipe, which has pepperoni and Italian sweet sausage in it.

Starting off: To a jar of my favorite pasta sauce I am adding diced roasted red peppers...you can buy these already jarred. Diced olives, and diced tomatoes, just for extra heartiness. As I assemble everything, I will be roasting one head of garlic, and when that is carmelized and cooled, I will squeeze all that roasted loveliness into a stick of unsalted butter, add some italian seasoning, a pinch of kosher, a pinch of red pepper flakes, a pinch of sugar and a couple of generous cranks of pepper and a glug or two of Extra Virgins (72! No more no less) olive oil. Mix, mix, mix and spread on bread or toast. Just turn your head when you breath on me.

Now, the first layer will be ground beef, pork and veal, browned and drained of the fat. A little sauce here and there, and the next layer, fresh mozzarella rounds, sliced and ready to layer.

The next layer will be the ricotta layer, to which I add 2 eggs, freshly grated parmesan cheese, dried oregano, basil and other wonderful spices, and this is absolutely new: One box of unfrozen creamed spinach. I usually add spinach but I thought the creamed spinach would add some extra lovely flavor.

The top will just be the remaining sauce and a combination of Italian cheeses, shredded, which you can buy already in the bag. This will bake at 350 degrees until it is golden in the middle and slightly browned around the edges. Served with a simple Caesar salad....also can be bought prepared, and voilà, ecco la cena!




Mangiate, tutto il mondo, perché dopo la cena, ho una torta di limone e marscarpone .
....ma con mirtilli! YAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just sit there, say something!