Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

Painting by Marc Chagall

Happy Mother's Day to all me Ladies everywhere! And such a good Mother's Day it's been for me, too! Today, my youngest presented me potted flowers that will thrive in spite of brown thumbs like mom, here, and the eldest gave me a pair of Michel M. leather sandals. Oh. So. Comfy! And a phone call from my younger sister in Kansas City.

When I was 6 and my sister was 5, my mother was quite ill, and hospitalized. Our aunt took us to the drug store, where we bought some sort of kitschy things for mother. My sister bought her a porcelain swan with a pincushion in its back. I bought mom a matching porcelain swan ash tray, and it swelled my young heart with pride to see her crushing her butts out in my swan. Ah, memories, the sweet liquor of life, ne? After my mother died when I was 8, my father got a mother's day card and a father's day card (with a new ashtray). So this year, I got a call from little sister, telling me what Dad was up to on this, his special day as "Mom".


Dad is in the hospital......visiting Clark Terry, who is one of the last of the Great Jazz Giants. Listen to him doing "Mumbles". Clark was in Kansas City to perform with the Kansas City Youth Jazz, headed by my brother-in-law, Greg Richter. He didn't get to do that performance, because of a 96% heart blockage. Doctors removed it and inserted a stent. He is going to be released sometime later, this week. Hopefully. So keep your fingers crossed, and wish him well.



Dad and Greg hauled their keyboards down to Clark's hospital room to buoy the man's spirits and my sister talked to Clark, himself. I wish I could be there with them all. One of the unfortunate things about Lancaster County, is that while it has a good number of jazz players, Philly is where you want to be if you want to hear good live jazz.


At least the Berks County Jazz Festival is right down the road a piece.


Have an extra serving from another Kansas City Jazz Great....you've been good, you deserve it.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This is one yummy looking blog!

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, best wishes to your dad's friend. He sounds like quite a legend!


    Happy belated Mother's Day to you!

    Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jenn! I couldn't wait to join a fellow foodie blogroll. I shall make a regular hajj to your site. I am but a leftover pawn to your Queen. Though, yesterday, I did make a pretty good bbq pulled pork with fresh chunks of lovin' pineapple. Served over buttered rice. Oh yum, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. seanymph12:47 PM

    I just want to say I love your blog! I stumbled over here from the Foodie Blogroll. Ive just read a few of your blogs and will be back for more. What a unique blog. And I so agree with your views too.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, say something!