Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Horrors! The Italians are Changing the School Menus!

Via Gates of Vienna:

(Rachel, reenacting the expressions of immigrant students in Italy when they found out that Yak curds and goat entrails were taken off the menu and replaced with local Italian and Mediterranean cuisine)

It appears that the fartlings are not going to be happy with the new Italian government and its lackeys all around Italy. First, they tear down a mosque in Verona, home of Romeo and Juliet fame, and then name the rubble after Oriana Fallaci. Can it get ever so better than this? What jingoists! What succulent, eggplant parmigiana jingoism! Oh, you should have seen the eggplant parmigiana I made the other night. Sweet heaven on a platter.

Yes, it looked something like this, but I prepped it differently. I made a marinade of herbs, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, dijon, and some garlic and other savory things. I poured part of a jarred pasta sauce into the bottom of the pan and layered my eggplant. I then brushed on the marinade and baked it in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes. When the eggplant had browned sufficiently, I added the ricotta cheese mix.

1 8 0z tub of ricotta cheese
3 tbsp of my homemade marinade...leftover from brushing on the eggplant slices
1 bag of asiago/parmesan shredded cheese
1 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese (the dry stuff)
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg
Mix all ingredients well, and midway through cooking, spoon over sliced eggplant. Bake another 15 minutes until bubbly golden brown. Serve with pasta, or in our case: With Cannellini Beans and Sun-Dried tomatoes!

This is one of the hubster's favorite side dishes. This is great, because you can add other things, like sausage or bacon, or you can make a curry out of it. It is even great as a White Bean salad.
I just rinsed the beans, sautéed them in a bit of bacon fat, and added sliced sun-dried tomatoes, Italian herb seasoning and some parmesan cheese. Blessed goodness. And bread. We had a nice crusty Italian bread to go with all this goodness.

Unfortunately when Rachel saw the dinner she was about to have, was SHE unhappy!

She fixed herself some ramen noodles and thus did not starve to death. If it had been me, my mother would have let me starve to death, which I did on numerous occasions when we had liver and ketchup and fishsticks and ketchup or her baked beans...mixed with ketchup AND mustard Please don't make me use ketchup anymore. I don't even use it on fries.

She picked out dinner, last night. Chicken, mac'n'cheese and peas. Sometimes, its the simple things in life that give us so many pleasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just sit there, say something!