Friday, May 30, 2008

La Cena Minimale

Please note the Great Cooks Bloglist on the side! I was invited to join, so I did, and now I get to belong to at least three different Food blog societies.



Tonight's Haramfest is for one. Me. Solo, tonight. So, I am going completely minimalismo, and for a nice minimalismo touch I'm thinking either MJQ or Dave Brubeck...I'll precede dinner with Dave but I will have Yo Yo Ma for dessert.

At certain times in my life I like spareness. Dinner is no exception. I like art to have just enough in it that makes it art....and no more. Japanese art appeals to me for that reason.


From Bill Katz' site. The Happy Koi. This was painted by his mother, Nga Bui Katz.


So does Andrew Wyeth's art.





And so, my dinner has to be simple. Simple in preparation, simple in presentation, and then simply enjoyed.


I am making Pan-seared steak with Garlic Butter



and Tomatoes with Mozzarella and Basil. That's it. Simple, ne?

For preparing the steak, whatever cut you have will work fine. Get your dry black cast iron skillet hot, either in the oven at the highest temperature, or on the stove top on high.
Pour some Worcesteshire sauce into the meat, add salt and pepper, and drizzle olive oil over it. Turn it over and repeat the process.

Make sure you have really ripe tomatoes and fresh basil. Also, make sure you use fresh mozzarella, the kind that is almost creamy.
Slice the tomatoes, salt and pepper them on both sides, add a slice of mozzerella and then some torn fresh basil. Lightly oil each slice with extra virgin olive oil.

Your skillet should be ready by this time.  Add your steak, and turn down the heat to medium.
Let it sear for about 5 minutes, and flip. Sear another 5 to 8 minutes, and remove to your plate.
Add a nice dollop of butter you have mixed with roasted garlic and Italian seasoning. You can get roasted garlic in the produce department in olive oil. It is delicious and a real time saver.


Yo Yo Ma. Spare in name. Lovely spareness. Everything there, nothing more to add.

4 comments:

  1. seanymph3:22 PM

    This is one of my favorite meals too. I love that salad and make it alot the only difference is I drizzle balsamic vinegar on top too, just a touch. My family loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try that sometime! It sounds even mo' bettah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. insominacs reunite! jazz sounds so much better in a still house sometime past midnight... your culinary details are sublime. i'm suddenly hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to torture my former-now-my-husband, boyfriend with verbal food preparations while working on an assembly line together. I agree about the jazz after midnight. I used to hang out at a jazz night club my father played in, and always, without exception, the food and jazz was better after midnight.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, say something!