Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Crucial Miley Cyrus News Parody with This Week's Haramfestivities




Yeah, the next time your best friend Leslie says that YOU'RE just being Miley, smack her back to reality with the bleakest forecast of Miley Cyrus Entertainment Depletion. EVER.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This week has been a homerun for cuisine at our house. First up, on Monday:



A tangy roasted chicken smothered in lemon juice, herbs, green olives and artichoke hearts. I have had a craving for Mediterranean food all summer. This fit the bill, nicely and was a breeze to make.

Set oven to 325 degrees.

1 cut up chicken
1 jar of green olives, not cocktail. I used dry cured olives in garlic.
1 small jar of artichoke hearts
1 tablespoon of Italian herbs
1 chopped shallot
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 whole lemon, zested and juiced
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
Mix extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, olives, artichoke hearts, Italian herbs, garlic, shallot salt, and pepper lightly together in a small bowl and pour over chicken pieces.
Bake in a shallow roasting pan for 1 hour, and if not thoroughly browned on the top, broil for 5 minutes more, until lightly browned.



And this is now officially my favorite potato dish.

Lemon Butter New Potatoes with Dill and Parsley

Boil 1 to 1 and 1/2 lbs. new potatoes til tender, in salty water for about 20-25 minutes. While draining in a strainer, melt one stick of unsweetened butter with the juice and zest of one lemon, 1/2 tablespoon of dill weed, and 1/4 cup of freshly chopped parsley. Cut new potatoes in half and add back to pan with the melted butter and lemon juice mixture and toss with kosher salt and black pepper till completely coated with herbal joy.
You will never eat potatoes the same old way you have usually eaten them, I promise.

Tonight's delight: Chicken Enchiladas in a creamy salsa verde



I think I have finally perfected this recipe. It takes some time, but it is worth it.

2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can green sauce for enchiladas
1 8 oz tub of sour cream
1 8 oz brick of cream cheese, room temperature
1 small can of cream corn
2 tablespoons of recaito (cilantro salsa, made by GOYA)
1 tablespoon jalapeño relish
1 8 oz block of pepper jack cheese, grated
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
2 packs of corn tortillas (20)

Cook chicken in a little oil til just done. Shred with two forks and put the meat aside.
In one bowl, combine soup, enchilada sauce and sour cream and whisk together til creamy.
In another bowl, mix creamed corn and cream cheese until fluffy. Add pepper jack cheese with shredded chicken and thoroughly mix.
Fill a large pot with water and boil. When water begins to boil, cover with a screened lid, the kind used for frying, and place tortillas over the steam, until they become malleable enough to roll up without breaking. If you use flour tortillas, you can skip this process, but I think the corn tastes better. Place a spoonful of the chicken mixture at the lower edge of the tortilla and roll up, flattening out the tortilla as you roll it up, in order to spread the mixture to the edges of the tortilla.
Ladle some of the green sauce into the bottom of a lasagna pan, and place filled enchiladas tightly together. When pan is full, spread the enchilada sauce over them, and cover completely. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese shreds and bake in a 350 degree oven uncovered, for 25 minutes.
Remove from oven and let rest, otherwise, you'll burn your face off, and goop will dribble all over the place. You can serve this with beans and rice, but this was enough on its own. And the best part is the leftovers. Lots of lovely leftovers. Mmmmmmm.

Some Roumanian Dances: Béla Bartók


Bring on the shortage, Miley. We are all survivors here.

4 comments:

  1. I was noting how slowly the final two dances are played, in comparison to how fast I usually play them on the piano. But hey, that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miley who? It pays to get old I guess so I dont miss shortages that are coming like this one hehehe.

    That chicken recipe sounds delish, while Im not real fond of green olives I might have to try this. BTW The recipe for the potatoes is very much like my Easter Egg potato recipe I make for that holiday. I suggest cooking the potatoes with a cut up onion for extra flavor :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miley Who is apt. She's a cut out figure like all the other Disney kids who get uber famous and then have melt downs.
    As for the green olives, I never liked manzanilla olives, the kind with the pimiento in them, but I found these dry cured olives for a measly 50 cents a pack at the discount grocery store where I often shop. They go well with pesto, artichokes, capers, and anything you want garlicky and tangy. I will try the potatoes. I was surprised that my husband loved them so much, since he isn't a lemon fan. It's so lonely eating lemon meringue by myself. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya on the lemons. I have a Meyer lemon bush that has gone berzerk with production and I hardly use them. I adore lemon anything but my bf doesnt. I did make lemon meringue pie (how to recipe on my blog) but he ate only one piece.......I cannot eat all that geez......Im fat enough lol So I use it for dressings and things like that....baking chicken but even then he comments on it. I would love to make lots of lemon curd to have on hand but that doesnt last long in a jar. So I pick them and put in a bolw. They smell heavenly and use what I can, when they mold over its garbage. How sad. Since Im moving I cannot freeze them.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, say something!