Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Take a Ride on the Taqiyyah Train


Hi keeds, since Ramadan, oh, sorry Hugh, the HOLY month of Ramadan will soon be upon us, (Mark yer calendars for September 1th to September 31th!) I thought I would offer up some lovely gift ideas for that special ass-holian taxi driver who might not be a 'dog' person. And of course, what wine to get, right?

Here are some of the toys the boys might like for Eid. And of course, we mustn't forget the girls!

Oh, I am so very sorry! You do not know what to get your favorite St. Paul taxi driver? Well, it is because you are an ignorant, filthy infidel, and as such, it behooves me, yes, really, really behooves me to educate you about the festivities.

And to help me do that is the Preacher of Peace, hisself, Siraj Wahhaj.

Understanding Islam, with the help of Madison Avenue, gentle subway riders!

And since The Holy Month of Ramadan™ is in full swing on the most depressing day of the year, September 11th, (wtf, right?) it would be such a nice distraction from all the pity parties that usually take place in the New York area on the 11th.

Here are some of the ads to look for on your Ramadan ride through New York, come September:
From Snapped Shot and TNOYF:

I like this one advertising the availability and plenitude of Jews in New York. You can never have enough Jews for your Ramadan needs.


I think this one in particular really hits the mark, understandingwise.

And the tots are all into the whole Batman, caped crusader thing...oops, did I say that, really?
My bad.

I know I will be pigging out come September....I always pack on the pounds during the holidays.
Sigh.

4 comments:

  1. Funny, Jewel. I do love the trademark thing.

    Just so you know, yesterday I stopped by and left a super-long comment, mostly about pesto. Alas, Blogger gave me a message to try again later and it totally dumped my musings. I was so annoyed I went directly to bed, pouting.

    Oh well. It doesn't matter, since you can't come up with two pounds of various kinds of fresh basil anyway--or at least you can't afford it.

    If Blogger dumps this one, I'm going to suggest you move to another platform.

    HAID

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh. I was posting a comment, and BAM! to quote the most annoying Emeril, my words vanished! So as I was saying, I got lots of feedback about the pesto recipe. Last night we had leftover pesto penne, and with it lots of sliced grilled eggplant. I am working on some tabouleh and hummus recipes. And falafel. We love falafel. I tried to post part of this screed over at Dhimmiwatch again, and once more they wouldn'lt accept it. I asked spencer about it and he said they have a problem posting anything with embedded links in them. So at least I am not sulking. Cheer up, it's only going to get interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's something OT I've been thinking about, Scherzo:

    What kind of piano do you have? Do you teach at home?

    I have a Steinway 1098 (circa 1964, which I picked out personally at the Steinway factory in NY with my teacher when I was 13, and we had the same axes at conservatory when I grew up); a Yamaha electric grand (what I usually play, unplugged, which is quiet enough to pound in the middle of the night if I want); a loaded Kurzweil 2500X (which I play on stage mounted with a Yamaha DX5, two DX7's in one 76-key unit, for the eighties FM sound we've all come to love); a Fender Rhodes with MIDI (a killer axe that hasn't been set up in years); and a few other vintage synths I can't seem to discard.

    Just wondering.

    Whom do you teach anyway? Kids? I used to make 'em all learn the Bartok. Most threw up.

    Moor later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Kawai studio upright,1974. It has the same basic style that they have today. In fact, it looks like a new piano, even though it is 34 years old! My father bought a 1928 baby Steinway grand from his brother who bought it at auction for 4000 dollars and sold it to my dad for 5000. But since it was in nearly flawless condition, a little humidity had gotten into the keys, making them stick. My father used several heating pads set to a low temp, and left them all along the keys. They unstuck and my, what a powerful piano. Always blows the roof off his bungalow. And since it is a 1928, it is worth nearly 40 grand! Ha! Uncle Scrooged got screwed. Heh.
    AS for teaching. I have taught adults, but they have all kinds of impediments, like kids, and arthritis, and work....you name it. Lessons never go far with them. I am not a full time teacher, but I can't teach at home, due to the smallness of my house and the prodigiousness of progeny. And hell to the yes on Bartok. Several years ago, I studied with a teacher who studied with one of Bartok's pupils, who was living in Canada. I spent 3 months playing Roumanian dances, and I just love Bartok. Very often, I would stop at the first folk dance and point out all the freaky cool jazz chord progressions. He suspected, but yeah, Bartok is one of my favorites. I grew up playing Mikrokosmos and Kabalevsky...which I also studied a lot of. It is really hard to do modern from a romantic genre. I do much better with Brahms and Chopin. :(
    As for the cool gear you have, I envy you. My brother in law has a kurzweil...model number I know not, but he also plays a set of Yamaha vibes and the drums. If I could teach like any one, it would be him. Totally unorthodox. Highly effective.
    ONe of the problems is that kids just don't listen to music anymore. It is so hard. I make my serious students do some Walter Gieseking Matering the Piano exercises, and also Chang's Fundamentals of Piano Practice....absolutely indespensible books which I also recommend.
    I have been fortunate to see some of my pupils go on to the local music conservatory, which was started here in Lancaster by one of the Met's baritones, John Darrenkamp. I was lucky to study there briefly. I wish I could afford to go back and get serious with my piano studies.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, say something!