Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Designated Back Seat Driver

La Conduttoressa indicata dell'automobile dal sedile posteriore:



Via Gerard

I enjoyed watching this several times. I probably would have reacted the same way, if I were the designated back seat driver, too. It's in Italian, which is just a lot of body language, so no need for subtitles. The invective mingled with prayers is delizioso.

Speaking of delicious, time to recount the lovely dinner we had the other night.

My husband hates many kinds of foods, namely, raisins, onions, and tomatoes. I found that, while he also hates lemons, too, he does like lemonade, and lemon butter dill new potatoes. Now I find he hates orange marmalade....the inspiration of our dinner.

The irksome middle child had called home wondering what we were having for dinner. Usually, she comes in late, reheats something and goes down to her room. Well, I decided to cut off her free meal, and I have been making very small 3 person portions for the three of us who actually deserve to eat. So when she comes home from her den of iniquity, looking for noshables, she finds milk, cereal, not much else. Heheheheh.

So Saturday night, she called home, desperately poor and hungry, (We cut her off from all hand outs for money a long time ago) and I told her we were having baked chicken, noodles and carrots. Pretty tame sounding fare. She thought it would be the best. thing. ever. And I imagine so, after not eating anything at all. Enter the Lady Marmalade!

I poured a very fruity virgin cold pressed olive oil over the chicken, both sides, and sprinkled Herbes de Provence over them, along with salt, black pepper, and cinnamon. Then.....


In another pan, I fried off bacon pieces, just until they were barely crisp, drained the fat off, added a chopped shallot, sliced mushrooms, frozen spinach, 1 can of chicken broth and a box of stuffing mix. Just as everything came to a boil, I turned off the heat and let everything steam until silky and puddinglike, and added back the bacon pieces.


In another pot, I boiled some wide egg noodles, drained and buttered them, added parsley and salt.

In yet another pan, I steamed carrots until they were al dente, removed the water, added 2 tablespoons of butter and a 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar, and let the carrots glaze themselves.


By this time, the chicken was almost brown enough to pour on the marmalade. I mixed a small jar of orange marmalade with a large dollop of Dijon mustard and one tablespoon of melted butter. I poured it over the chicken and broiled it for a few moments, just till the sticky and caramelization were perfected. By this time, Wednesday's Child came dawdling in, just in time for the husband to be surprised.

Watching her revel in eating good food for the first time in who knows how long was a well-savored reward in itself, but watching her laugh and cry at the same time, while the hubster declared it the most delicious and memorable meal he'd eaten in ever so long was Priceless™! (And there were leftovers for lunch today!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just sit there, say something!