Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Celebrating the End of Days with a Barbecue

This is my 100th post for this year!

I just love those guys at The People's Cube. I can't wait to see what Br'er Bama has in store for those deliciously mischievous little muckrakers.

Obama's WealthSpread™: I Can't Believe It's Not Earned!
By Red Square

While canvassing neighborhoods in Ohio this Sunday, Barack Obama advised a tax-burdened plumber not to worry about money because under his presidency money will disappear since it will no longer have any meaning anyway. Instead, all Americans will be living off Obama's highly nutritive WealthSpread™ formula that is surprisingly low in effort and is being promoted by a group of leading nutritionists known as the Cook Fringe of the Democrat Party under the brand name "I Can't Believe It's Not Earned!"

"Your new tax plan is going to tax me more, isn't it?" the plumber asked, complaining that he was being taxed "more and more for fulfilling the American dream."

"It's not that I want to punish your success," Obama responded. "I just want to make sure that everybody who is behind you, that they've got a chance for success too ... I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody."

"So instead of cutting taxes with a kitchen knife we'll butter it up with wealth and spread it around like we earned it," the Democratic candidate continued. "It's a patented foreign blend that is guaranteed to help improve my standing in the polls, but it's made with 100% pure American taxpayer sweat, which once again shows how taxes can be patriotic."

When asked to clarify how exactly this plan was going to work, Obama, who is currently ahead in the polls, explained that it was "quite simple: everyone will be contributing according to his abilities and consuming according to his needs, while special observers will be making sure that a worker's contribution does not go above or below the approved list of his abilities. Special distributors will also be making sure that a worker's needs do not exceed the quota based on the availability of the WealthSpread™ formula."

"And, of course, there will also be watchers who will watch these watchers, and the watchers who will watch those watchers, and so on - leading to a full guaranteed employment for everybody."

"What's not to vote for?" Obama finished as he was cheered on by a group of supporters wearing blue pins with the Obama logo and the words "Journalists for Obama."

When the inquiring plumber, in turn, was confronted with a question whether he would like to be in charge of determining his neighbor's needs and WealthSpread™ rations in his community, he lowered his eyes and admitted in a hushed voice that it sounded like an offer he couldn't refuse.

Obama frequently rails against what he calls an immoral Republican concept of tax breaks that somehow "trickle down" to the rest of Americans, contrasting it with the beneficial effects his own low-effort WealthSpread™ formula that he claims has nothing in common with what his opponents label as "wealth redistribution."


Meanwhile, Brother Younger is putting together an End of Days as We Know Them Barbecue, and I was ruminating on what to bring while dining on mediocre fare at Friendly's, tonight. Bleccch. I ordered a scoop of vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce, and then, while the waitress and hubster and Rachel looked on in horror, I grabbed the salt shaker and sprinkled a couple of shakes of salt over it. The waitress walked away, while the husband choked on the question, "Why on earth did you do THAT?" Well, I was taste testing something I saw on Tyler Florence's show, Tyler's Ultimate. This afternoon's Ultimate included a semi-freddo with Salted Caramel Sauce, or as the French who have perfected the recipe say:
Sauce Caramel au Beurre Salé.
And yes, you absolutely must bookmark Smitten Kitchen. And visit her site...often. I have a couple of sites I like, and the top foodies on my blog who rank higher than me are Mermaid's Treasure, Smitten Kitchen, Homesick Texan and Over a Tuscan Stove, whose links are all on the left.
Which brings me back to the salted caramel at Friendly's. The salt was a wonderful complement to the sweetness of the sauce. Just a light seasoning of salt improves the flavor of caramel so much that you can't imagine ever having it without it.
So, I will be bringing to our pre-funerial Monday Night Eve of Destruction Last Supper, the following: Saint Louis Ribs, (forgive me, a Kansas Citian) Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with homemade Salted Caramel Sauce...courtesy of Deb @ Smitten Kitchen. I would kill to find out where I can buy the French salted butter here in Lancaster PA. S.Clyde Weaver sells a lovely New Zealand butter that they use to make Sand Tarts, I may give it a try...or else bring roasted and salted sunflower seeds to sprinkle over the sundaes. (Note: In Lancaster, Sand Tarts are exquisite buttery sugar cookies, rolled as thinly as possible, cut into different shapes, brushed with egg wash with a crushed pecan topping piled in the center....usually. They are typically made at Christmas time. Since cookie making is an individual thing, there are many different recipes for sand tarts, and I tried to look up a Google image of sand tarts....they all look different from each other, and nothing resembled the Sand Tarts I make. They are very labor intensive to make, but worth it. I will write up a Christmas Recipe for them and take my own pics of them, since I saw nothing on Google that resembled a Lancaster County Sand Tart.)
Oh, yes! One More Thing! Congratulations to Matt and Vanessa Huacani on the arrival of their bundle of Joy! Lily Annette Huacani made her appearance on Saturday the 25th of October. Mom is recovering nicely.I can't believe I have known you since you were 9! You are now one of Us....parents, that is!

6 comments:

  1. Number one hundred. Congratulations!

    Now you're doubly established!

    I wanna be a watcher. That's a job I can do in my retirement, should I ever be fortunate enough to embark on one. Beats distributing shopping carts at Wal-Mart. I can distribute the wealth!

    Stop this depressing "end of days" stuff, though. It's NOT the end of days.

    It's just the beginning of the end of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Haid, no more End of Days stuff. We were calling our feast the Eve of Destruction Dinner, which has a kind of Rock and Roll quality to it. Brother Younger wanted to wait until the 19th of January, but I said, "Too cold to cook out, we should sit around and maybe fast and pray on that night." I think, really think that would be most appropriate. I think the church, those true believers who want the will of God as much as they crave their daily crusty baguette and soup, should make this prayer a reality in our lives. First and foremost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely surprise, I come to read about the barbecue and find out Im on the list of favorites for all the world to see! You are a doll you know. But Im glad you like what I blog cuz they sure are not beatin a path to my door lolol. I suspect it will get even slower once I move and Im offline a bit. But I promise Ill be back and with a vengence when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deed I do, Sea Nymph! When you put out the cheese tray I was THERE, lady! I did an audacious thing by putting up notices typed in a nice bold red font urging people in our local grocery stores to celebrate their freedoms and liberties by supporting Denmark. Buy Danish! (During the Islamic boycott of Danish things.) I tell you, fontina, havarti and other Danish cheeses became my favorites...I made Dill Havarti and Danish Ham and sun dried tomato Monte Cristos using cheese bread made by moi at our bakery (S. Clyde Weaver's) My twins' favorite sandwich! When are you moving?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This move just drags on. I had hoped to have the house repaired and listed by SEpt. My neighbor next door is doing the work but has dragged this out because they are selling theirs too. I havent said much because theirs is about to foreclose so they need to sell it. Now there is a deal on it but I havent seen the guy. I have a half working hot tub, which he needs to finish fixing and he took my grill to clean up for me and we found it needed parts. Now the grill isnt that important and I thought that would be done fast. Even that is dragging. I have a new medicine cabinet sitting in my living room to be installed in a bathroom. Id get someone else but this guy is a contractor, does great work and doesnt charge me alot cuz we are neighbors. He also has discounted stuff at his house for my bathroom updates. He will save me thousands......if I could just get him doing this. sigh..........I should have been gone 3yrs. ago Ive lost over 150k in equity cuz of this draggin. First family now this guy. grrrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you sure you aren't my older sister, sea nymph? Your story sounds just like my younger sister's and her long and drawn out move. She and her husband flew my house painter husband out several times this year to do the painting and the floors, and drywall.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, say something!