Sunday, December 21, 2008

Come Sunday


Come Sunday - Duke Ellington And His Orchestra Feat. Mahalia Jackson

H/T One Cosmos

While traipsing all across the Blogalaxy, I landed on Planet American Digest




and saw Gagdad Bob hanging out. It's Christmastime, and everybody's favorite presents are shiny, pretty links, which are only slightly less popular than filthy lucre, gift cards, and a KitchenAid Stand Mixer for yours, very truly, Jau jau, here...heh.

Drat, I just remembered the maxim for 2009. Never mind.

Here are the words, appropriate for both Hanukkah and Christmas. By the way, these lyrics, as she sang them, are most difficult to find on the intertubes, so I wrote them down. Feel free to copy them for reference.

Lord, dear Lord of love, God almighty,
God up above, Please look down and see my people through.
Lord, dear Lord of love, God almighty,
God above, Please look down and see my people through.
I believe the sun and moon will shine up in the sky.
When the day is gray I know it's just clouds passing by.
He'll give peace and comfort to every troubled mind,
Come Sunday, oh Come Sunday. That's the day.
Often we'll feel weary, but He knows our every care
Go to Him in secret, He will hear your every prayer.
Lilies of the valley, they neither toil nor spin
And flowers bloom and spring and birds sing
Do unto others as you would have them do to you.
Often we'll feel weary, but He knows our every care
Go to Him in secret, He will hear your every prayer.
Up from dawn til sunset, men work hard all the day.
Come Sunday, oh, Come Sunday. That's the day.
Lord, dear Lord above, God almighty,
God of love, Please look down and see my people through.
Lord, dear Lord above, God almighty,
God of love, Please look down and see my people through.


And under my cyber tree, behold, what do I find but this beautimus link! Aah, the soul-nourishing things such lovely minds pour out into the blogosphere these days! You know they're gonna pass a law against it, probably sooner, rather than later. We are in the age of Ugliness Ascending. Enjoy your freedom for now. The Dawning of the Age of the Troll Kingdom is upon us.

And not to forget that it is now Hanukkah, here is a menorah that would be a nice edition in my home, if I had room, which I don't. Thanks to floranista @ Discarded Lies for sharing the image.

This is one of my favorite link presents:



If you think that Hanukkah is all about 8 days of eating, dreideling, and lighting the pretty candlestick, well, just to remind you what it's all about.

So to all my best Jews out there - Merry Lights! And the next time 'Antiochus' - whoever that may be, this time, orders you all to bow down and sacrifice at the altar of the false idol named, "Peace".....be as prepared as a a Maccabee to say "Up yours!" cuz they're coming for the Saturday folk, first, and then, come Sunday....for the rest of us folk.

One more pretty little Christmas present for y'all:

3 comments:

  1. Aah, the soul-nourishing things such lovely minds pour out into the blogosphere these days! You know they're gonna pass a law against it, probably sooner, rather than later.

    Yes, so much of what we do in the blogophere will be labeled a hate crime. The New Dark Age is upon us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jewel,
    Your comment at my site ("pinao") cracked me up.

    I fixed the error.

    Seriously, the medication I take makes me dyslexic. I wouldn't have to take those awful capsules were it not for having been rear-ended by a taxi driver from Ghana. I have permanent neurological damage -- and no settlement on the accident. The taxi driver's insurance company is stonewalling. The accident was nearly four years ago!

    -------------------

    Merry Christmas, Jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But that is awful, AOW! I am sorry that you have to take medication, and sadder that it has this effect on you. My sister went through a similar situation, and she suffered a lot of strange symptoms, too, all neurological. Sometimes, her left arm would swell up to double the size of her right arm.
    I do want to say that I agree with the sentiment of your poem, which was, in fact lovely. I lived without our family piano for nearly 20 years, and now it is better than any medication. I hadn't had lessons since 1974, and I wish I'd been able to take piano lessons after that, but parent control the wallet....sigh.
    Still, I practice. This week I finally found some of my favorite pieces by Gabriel Faure, "Pavane" and "Sicilienne, from Peleas et Mellisande". (I will put a link from imeem up, if you aren't familiar with them. They are orchestral works, but I found some challenging piano transcriptions for them....and the nice thing, they were labeled 'advanced' and they are just hard enough to be interesting, and just easy enough to let me know that I wasn't playing THIS good after my last lesson in 1974!
    You keep up on the piano playing, and have a Joyous, and Blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, say something!