Monday, January 12, 2009

Good Morning, Everyone!

Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!


Time to wake up, keeds! Wash your face, do all the wudu that you do and start the day!


video


Oh, never mind. Go back to sleep. Just be prepared for the knock on the door.
Me? I'm makin' ribs 'n' rice for dinner.

That's right, Kansas City Girl is having ribs


'n' rice.  


 I hate to break it to you KC rib connoisseurs who favor either KC Masterpiece or
Famous Dave's, but y'all ain't got nothin' on me! I make the best ribs. Dry rubbed, Memphis style, with sauce on the side.  Served over a bed of piping, hot buttered rice and corn bread on the side. Too damn cold for corn on the cob, so beans it is. Mmmmmm! I only hope there will be enough for the food police, when they come. 
Rib rub is a personal thing.  If you use 2 tbspns. of just about any kind of sugars, salts and pepper, with half amounts for cayenne, paprika, thyme, garlic powder and cumin, you will get a nice rub. Whisk it all together and save it in a plastic bag or a plastic storage container.
For winter time cooking indoors, set your oven to 325. We're going low and slow.
Fill a broiler pan half way with water and add a tablespoon of liquid smoke and begin heating it in the oven.
Rub 2 racks of ribs with a good amount of sesame oil and then generously massage the dry rub into the ribs on both sides and place on the broiler rack, and place it onto the broiler pan already in the oven.  Roast slowly for 3 to 4 hours.  You may either add the sauce to the ribs 15 minutes before serving, or you can serve the sauce on the side, for the finicky kids who don't LIKE barbecue sauce. Traitors. I told them there was ketchup in it, but they aren't buying.
Serve with hot, buttered steamed rice. 

4 comments:

  1. I make a dry rub similar to yours and have for yrs. Im famous for my ribs. I once brought baby ribs to a potluck and there apparently was a man who owned a BBQ joint there. He pronounced them the best ribs hes ever had. Thats high praise! But Ive never rubbed them with oil first, especially sesame oil......are you talking about the Chinese kind? That has a flavor all its own and you need to use it sparingly.....or just plain old oil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Seanymph, Chinese TOASTED sesame oil. It's darker and more flavorful. I know you are supposed to use it sparingly, so it is hard to say how much I use when lathering up the ribs...which, tonight are also baby back ribs. I have also used Dijon mustard before putting on the rub. I don't like a completely 'dry' rub, so I like a kind of moisture on the meat beforehand.
    Sesame oil adds a deliciousness to the crust on the meat that is really subtle but 'there'. Maybe a little more than a tablespoon per rack, I'm guessing.
    While in KC over the holidays we went to Famous Dave's, whose origins are in Fargo, and not KC, but never mind. I was underwhelmed. I have eaten ribs everywhere, at least as far as the chain restaurants go, and each and every time, I get greasy, over sauced gristle bars. The ribs which are really great are singular joints that aren't duplicated. In Lancaster, where I am, the ribs at Smokey Joes are the absolute best. Still, I think home made is simply the only way to go with ribs. I also left out the foil tent to be added over the meat about an hour before it's done cooking. That is optional, though.
    I discovered the beauty of liquid smoke while living in Montana and missing the grill in the long wintertime, I found it sufficient enough to use the liquid smoke to get the smoky flavor of outdoor smoked ribs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use mustard when making my breaded porkchops. I brush Dijon on liberally and dip the chops in a mix of breadcrumbs, parmesan, S&p and some herbs, usually, garlic powder, thyme and parsley. Then I bake them. They are delicious that way. Something sparked my imagination one day I think when I ran out of eggs to dip. After I made it it was an aha moment, like dork....why didnt you think of this sooner, its ez lol.


    By the way I like the position of those folks up there praying only my week has sucked big time so for me it wouldnt be prayer so much as kiss my ass world. lol .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how I would react if I had to have all those smelly asses bowed down in the public square of our local church. Totally pissed, I hope. Your idea about using mustard I must try. I bet they are super moist inside, too. And with the bread crumb and parsley, just crunchy enough on the outside. I will have to post tonight's latticed bacon meatloaf wrap....with an onion and mushroom sauce. sigh. Braiding bacon is something I never thought I would do in my lifetime.
    I hope you have a better week, Seanymph. I might put myself on some kind of fast when the Messiah ascends the throne. Peace in our time.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, say something!