Sunday, February 8, 2009

FaceBook - Explained

Hat Tip to Bookworm Room

Off topic, but totally haram, anyway! Good News! There IS a recipe for cake that actually contains BACON! SWEET! Lookit theses loverlies:


First, it's Sunday, time for a Sunday People Haramfest Breakfast. I usually don't eat breakfast at all, because as a child, it was considered the first punishment of the day. We weren't allowed to eat sugary cereals, like Cap'n Crunch. (My first act as an emancipated adult was to go by a quart of whole milk and a box of Cap'n Crunch...the red box, no crunchberries for me. I am a purist.) We were only allowed to eat puffed rice, without sugar but yuck....with milk that was half powdered milk half whole milk. It had a greenish tint to it, and was dreadful-tasting. Worse was the oatmeal, which was like gray rubber, no sugar, and heavy on the salt.....yearggggh. But the absolute worst thing ever forced down my gullet was boiled rice cereal. It was ghastly. It had a nasty odor, and one of the reasons I won't eat long grained rice to this day, though I will eat short grained rices, jasmine, basmati and arborio rice. This rice was boiled to death in so much water that the water never evaporated, but turned instead into a noxious smelling glue that we were forced to eat, I mean, choke down, to be followed by a regimen of very large alfalfa pills. Allow me to pause, for a moment. *weeping into my hands* I hate Shaklee. I hate Shaklee. I hate hate hate Shaklee.

Well, I survived childhood, thank you very much, and today, for no other reason than that I promised the hubster and the youngun, I made breakfast.

Blueberry Corn Cakes



and Maple Glazed Bacon. (nom nom nom nom nom)

And it is a simple and quick thing of beauty:

1 box Jiffy Corn muffin mix
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vegetable oil or melted butter
1 cup of buttermilk
fresh blueberries

Mix the corn cake batter without adding the blueberries and let rest for 10 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 375. and using a baking rack and cookie sheet, line your bacon. I bake bacon, it is much easier to cook large amounts this way, and it cooks more evenly. When your oven is thoroughly preheated, place your bacon inside and bake for about 15 minutes. At about 10 minutes drizzle maple syrup very lightly over the browning bacon and let finish. Keep an eye on it and don't let it get too crisp. It should be done, but not brittle.

Meanwhile, preheat your griddle. I use a simple cast iron skillet that I have wiped with vegetable oil on a napkin or papertowel. I heat it on a medium setting. A few drops of water that skitter around on the hot surface will let you know that the pan is hot enough.

Pour a ladle of the batter on the hot skillet and add the blueberries well-spaced an evenly into the pancake. It is best to add the berries this way because they usually drop to the bottom of the batter bowl and clump in the middle. When the bottom of the pancake is browned nicely, after lifting a bit of it, flip very carefully and cook the other side. Now. on to the topic. Facebook.

Ah yes. My daughters, and friends and their friends have all sent me Facebook invites. I joined, but seldom hangout. I don't see the point. Why not just email? It is far more private and simple.
Facebook isn't a blog, it is like MySpace....considered the Crack Cocaine of the Teen world, but for college kids....and now, anyone can get a Facebook account. I received an invitation to become "Mary's friend"....I am her mom, so I kind of resent the idea of being 'friends' with my children...but I digress. Anyway, if you have been bombarded by Facebook zombies all wanting you to be their friend and come and write on their wall.....all I can say to this video is Heh.....Thanks, Bookworm!

5 comments:

  1. Jewel,

    I love your blog! I almost had cinnamon tea coming out of my nose on this. Is Shaklee still in buisiness or did they go the way of Amway?

    I am continuously bummed every time I think of the extiction of Post Fortified Oat Flakes. I grew up on this cerial and miss it terribly. It got mushy very fast which means that once the milk was poured the race was on to eat it before it turned to goo. I miss it anyway. I'd even risk "episodes" with my lactose intolerant system to have that race again.

    -Lynndeepoo, AKA "Hedy Lamar"

    If I only had half the brains and beauty as her. Bet she couldn't cook though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The older I got, the more lenient my father got. My favorite was and is, product 19, Special k, Grapenut flakes....all go mushy, and it really is fun to see how fast you can eat them. I don't like all the varieties of cereal. I discovered maltomeal in my early 20s, and I love it. I can only buy it at walmart. Another one I like is steel cut oats, which slow cooks for about 6 hours over night. When it is cooked properly, it is like a tapioca pudding, and it is so delicious with blueberries or strawberries.
    How did you fix your blogger log in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how I managed to log in. This blogging thing is new to me. I just try things and they work out. It's kind of like cooking, really.

    I forgot to mention the facebook video. It's pretty funny, but so true.

    Most disturbing is what found out about my youngest daughter on facebook. When I was in my "lost years" my parents had no idea how utterly insane I was because I kept it out of their face. Now it seems indescretion has become unfashionable. It's all out there for the world to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jewel, I followed you over here from your link on One Cosmos. Hope you don't mind. You are quite entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be offended, but I like visitors, even this late at night, mushroom. Your name is divinely edible. Stay awhile, mingle with the onions.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, say something!