Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What I wouldn't give for some Globular Warmingness

h/t Gerard



That was just last week's storm. It's going to be even better tonight! Work is canceled for the next two days.

So, what to do, what to do....the fartlings and the hubster have all gone off to see Avatar with our Japanese 'son'. This, after we took him out for a tasty treat of Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches.
In his words: I rike, I berry berry much rike.
What's not to rike, right?
Supper will be spaghetti and meatballs:


Sauce:

2 large cans of stewed tomatoes or whole tomatoes with juices -crushed with your bare hands.
1 iddy biddy can tomato paste
1 cup of white wine
1 medium onion - diced
1 green pepper - diced
1 red pepper - diced
1 eggplant - peeled and diced
3 cloves chopped garlic

Meatballs:

1 pound of ground lamb
1 pound of sweet Italian sausage
1/2 cup of bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 or 2 sploshes or glugs of Italian dressing or balsamic vinaigrette
1 egg

On a medium high heat, saute onions, peppers and eggplant in olive oil, and when softened, add the garlic. Stir it in and add the tomato paste and allow it to caramelize and then add the wine. Add the crushed tomatoes after a few minutes, stir and cover with a lid or plate and lower the heat. Cook slowly for at least an hour.

Mix the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, egg and dressing with a whisk and add the meats. Use your hands to mix everything and roll the mix into 1 inch balls and line a baking pan.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes. They won't be cooked through, but they will be browning nicely. Add them to the sauce and in the final 20 minutes of cooking, allow the sauce to reduce and thicken.

Serve over pasta al dente with garlic bread and a salad on the side. Sleep until spring.

Have some Clapton for dessert:



That ought to go down nicely for the much anticipated Climate Change coming tonight.

11 comments:

  1. Hey Mr. Inflammation. Please try, just try to make sense when you post commentary. Why do you keep coming here? You are a spammer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive been lucky so far, no spam. I probably jinxed it saying that but I see lots complaining about it.

    That snowlapse is creepy. the big trees on the right look like a monster coming at you till they start getting white lol.

    Good to see you posting again. I agree with your Japanese son about those steak sammichs tho...I rike berry berry much too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today's blizzard exceeded the weekend's by feet and fury. Luckily I got all the groceries I needed the day before, and we have been staying warm and cozy while the winds and snows rage all about us outside. The snow is WAIST DEEP, and my husband decided to walk to the corner mini mart, but a few blocks away. I told him it might well be closed as everything else is, and he said, 'I am going for the sake of going, and when I get there, if it's open, I'll call and ask you what you want.'
    He made it through unplowed waist deep snow in 45 minutes. (It usually takes but 5 or 10 minutes). He bought iced tea and came home. 45 minutes later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That snowlapse video is amazing! I'm sitting in Manhattan where the total has only hit 10 - 12" or so in Central Park. A big storm, but far from the huge honker the weatherman promised.

    I slid over to your blog from Discarded Lies. It's getting cold over there, too, Jau Jau. Don't think I'll drop in much any more.
    --Lady of Shalott

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have noticed a sea change over at DL. I like going over there because, while I can disagree with people, ev and zorkie post some of the most interesting articles, and there comments are well worth reading. Perhaps we are all becoming too polarized...easy to do, I suppose in polar weather, but I notice a lot of people who used to post there don't anymore. I don't know why that is, but I miss hearing from them.

    Good grief the word verification reads weeptea. How appropriate

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still hope to see you Lady. I first noticed your comments there years ago, and also at LGF, I believe. Didn't you go by Beverley, Lady of Shalott?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for coming by and leaving that wonderful story about the origin of the pig drawing. I looked at the young girl's picture a long time and wondered what had become of her after her time in prison. Her hair made me think of Anne Frank.

    I'm glad to see you posting again...our recipes for spaghetti sauce are similar(except I save the eggplant for a meal on its own). In September I make batches of pesto and freeze in blobs on cookie trays. Then I bag them and use this "pistou" (sans cheese) all through the winter for soups and sauces. Just a tablespoon or two gives a wonderful depth to things, in a similar way that a squeeze of anchovy paste does.

    My family thinks they hate anchovies. Little do they know they eat a lot of it.

    We had a three day no electricity snow storm. One night got down to 8 degrees. Even the phone went out...and where we live is a dead zone for cell towers. I sure was glad to have the heat and light come back!

    Anyway, thanks for the gift of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been praying and thinking about you in your situation with the cold and the electricity being out. I am glad to see your situation is better. We got wolloped, too with the blizzard, and today we dug ourselves out. At least we had power. The story is a wonderful story, and it saddens and angers me that this young woman had to once again, apologize to the world for being Jewish. What happened to her was truly an injustice. She is a heroine on the magnitude of Rosa Parks as far as I am concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jewel! It's your ol' pal Patrick from Clarity & Resolve. Stumbled upon your (cool and innovative) blog in a somewhat roundabout way. Drop me a line, and I'll fill in the details. (patrick@dogopus.com) Hope you're well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’d like to personally invite you to join the CookEatShare Author network. CookEatShare has had over 2.5 million unique visitors in 2009, and I think they will be interested in your content. Users will be guided to your actual blog, so this is a free way to increase page views and visitors to your site.

    Please visit http://cookeatshare.com/blogs/apply for additional information or contact me at mary@cookeatshare.com for more information, to get unique link to claim and customize your profile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Daphne8:08 AM

    You're writing again.

    That is a good, great thing, Jewel.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, say something!