Monday, June 7, 2010

Exquisite Time Wastage

I suffer from insomnia. I'd go to bed and sleep, but my brain tells me there is always something I have to do. Something I have to read, something I have to clean. A walk I should probably take. Something other than sleep. I get by at times on only 3 to 4 hours a night of sleep. Sometimes, I just don't sleep at all. Part of the reason is my night job as a baker, and part of it is that I can't sleep in a bed horizontally, without my back hurting me after ten minutes or so. I have gotten used to sleeping in a semi-upright position, so I manage somehow to get something like sleep.

Last night, I discovered that having a half a snort of red wine made me sleep most of the night, quite restfully, in fact. Better than sleeping pills, in fact.

So it is times like this, when I can't sleep, I get online and read...
....or watch YouTube. Such precious moments. Wasted. Watching YouTube. But, what a trove of time-wasted treasure I  often find. Case in point...H/T Allahpundit.






Even more interesting, hidden in a link within the paean Allapundit penned, is the fact that the video was made at one of my favorite places: Knoebel's Amusement Resort, a scant two hours north of Hero Township.



You see how much fun the fruit of my loins and the sire that begat her are having on that ride? Exquisite time wastage. Not your everyday Kodak moment!

So, sleepy head that I ought to be, and having a head full of thinks waiting to be thoughted, I will summon sleep assistance from YouTube:


4 comments:

  1. I'm up too, darling. Nice lookin' family- even in bug-eye mode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to know I ain't the only one suffering from wide-awake ennui. Glad you stopped by, mistah Webb! The girl in the front...Julia...moved out today. Bout time. She's 23, but now I won't be able to hit her up for money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thus far, there are four scholarly books available on the subject of YouTube:

    The YouTube Reader, (2009) Edited by Snickars and Vonderau.
    YouTube: Online Video and Participatory Culture, (2009) by Burgess and Green.
    Video Cultures: Media Technology and Everyday Creativity, (2009) Edited by Buckingham and Willettt.

    and this one:

    Watching YouTube: Extraordinary Videos by Ordinary People (University of Toronto Press, 2010).

    Watching YouTube has been reviewed by the Globe and Mail ("Your Fifteen Minutes Have Arrived" Jenefer Curtis).
    Another review can also be found at The Mark ("YouTube in Review").

    Table of Contents

    Introduction
    1. Home Movies in a Global Village
    2. The Home and Family on YouTube
    3. Video Diaries: The Real You in YouTube
    4. Women of the ‘Tube
    5. The YouTube Community
    6. The YouTube Wars: Elections, Religion, and Armed Conflict
    7. The Post-television Audience
    Conclusion

    -- Dr. Strangelove

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez, Michael, the book is 65 bucks for the hardcover at Amazon! Paperback is 18+ bucks. AND you gave your book a 5 star review. Most authors who review their own work would at least have a sock puppet do it on their behalf, but props to you for doing it yourself. I figure that Youtube is sort of the New Samizdat. Do you teach at the University of Toronto? That would explain the hefty hardback price.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, say something!