Saturday, July 10, 2010

Dessert for a hot Saturday

If I go out to a restaurant and I have had something new and delicious, inevitably, I will become obsessed and try to figure out how to make it myself.

This is simply the most luxurious milk shake I ever did have. Vietnamese Avocado Milk Shake. (Sinh Bo To)

Perfect way to end a hot week. Though not as hot as Texas, we have brown yards a plenty here in Lancaster, PA. So tonight, no cooking for me, and no heavy meals, either. Vietnamese food is the best way to go for light and refreshing.

I am simply going to put the recipe in here as follows, with a link back to the original article:

From Phamfatale

Sinh tố bơ is a Vietnamese-style avocado milk shake. In Vietnamese, avocado is called trái bơ, which literally translates to "butter fruit". The name is quite appropriate for this drink, which is sinfully rich. I take heart, no pun intended, in the fact that avocados are so nutritious and are loaded with the healthy kind of fat.



Ingredients

Servings: 6 servings
4 (Hass) avocados, ripe
juice of half a lemon (optional)
1 tablespoon honey (optional)
1 quart ice cubes, crushed
1-1/2 cups soy milk, as needed (depending on how you like the consistency of your shake)
1 cup sweetened condensed milk, to taste

Preparation

Peel the avocados and chop them into cubes. Drizzle lemon juice on the avocados to avoid oxidation. Add honey, if you like.
In a blender, combine all the ingredients until very smooth.
Pour into 8 glasses. Finish with a bubble tea fat straw.

This was a delightful way to finish dinner, and it was a surprise, considering that the only way I have ever eaten avocado is in guacamole. 

For Daphne - Another Day, half awake, half asleep, half in space

8 comments:

  1. Sounds purr-fect if'n ya ask me.

    I MIGHT have one of these later on today. I was reading the recipe to my DIL and her reaction was "ewww!" My response: "You're WAAAY too structured, M'Dear." So... there was a brief exchange and then I got "Write the recipe down and we'll try it tonight. I have to go to the store later anyway." Cut'n'paste, e-mail, send. Done. The rest is on her.

    I'll let ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have said the same, years ago, but I wasn't in my thirties when I tried an avocado for the first time, and this, this is just delightful. It is all complimentary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alas... nothing came of it. And I'm not one to press an issue in my DIL's kitchen. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, there's also dorian smoothie as a Vietnamese exclusive, but our family likes Sinh To Bo the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. broc, you TEASE, do share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. jewel:

    do you take out the pit?

    as for me, i absolutely lub lub lub the yogurt drinks in indian restaurants.

    if i come back after i die, i want to live in india and have enough to eat every day, breakfast, lunch and dinner at an indian restaurant.

    it is so good. oven fried bread, the only stuff i have ever eaten made out of eggplant that is ummers, ... , and, the stuff they do with the humble garbonzo as we call it, chick peas as everybody else in the world calls 'em.

    john jay

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s. what is a "dil."

    ReplyDelete
  8. John, I have a delightful recipe that is like an Indian lamb stew, with eggplant, chickpeas, mango and onions over basmati rice....I will have to post it here. It's one of our favorites. Oh, and dil is Daughter In Law! MIL, FIL, SIL...you can see how that works...just try figuring out PHIL. Go ahead, try...it will surprise the heck outta ya!

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, say something!