Sunday, August 8, 2010

Kanso Power!

The pregnant Irksome Middle Child has begun to exhibit strange signs of maturation, which, you'd think, would be a cause for alarmed celebration. You'd think. She's begun the nesting phase of her pregnancy, and is redding up the place. And she doesn't even live here. I shouldn't complain, so I won't. I will merely observe.

                              
                                                           (William Buckley's desk)

First, she rearranges all the books....according to height. Why didn't I think of that? I was stupid to categorize the books according to topic and/or space left on the shelf. I should have known better.



                                                               (Nat Hentoff's desk)

It isn't enough for me to put things away, and to do my dishes and fix the dinners and do the laundry, be the chauffeur, buy the stuff, you know...when I get around to it...Oh noes. She has to inject all kinds of motherly....MOTHERLY scolding  into it all.


                                                             (Albert Einstein's desk)

And after her cleaning spree, she paused long enough to write a mostly-motivational essay on the white board:
Message to EVERYONE! (mother)
Let us keep this house CLEAN! (mother) and even more...ORGANIZED! (mother)
Together, (mom) we CAN accomplish a lovely home! (mom)
Just remember, (mom) cleaning up after yourself (mom) makes a tremendous difference.
And (MOM!!!!) throwing things away that you don't need will also contribute.
A clean house means a happier environment!
And a happy environment, means a HAPPY EVERYONE! YAY!!!! ......(mom)
Much love,
                              MARY!

As you can see, I made some minor corrections. (I added all the missing moms and mothers, damn them, anyway!)

What the girl wants is KANSO POWER!

Kanso?



Kanso: (簡素) Simplicity or elimination of clutter. Things are expressed in a plain, simple, natural manner. Reminds us to think not in terms of decoration but in terms of clarity, a kind of clarity that may be achieved through omission or exclusion of the non-essential.
So I boiled her motivation down to what really matters.


My Dearest Mary.  I was just surfing the intertubes, and I came across this lovely sentiment….which is what I think you mean not only to say, but to live. And to have us live by. So I printed it out and pasted it here for you.      

Kanso

The second principle, Kanso, relates to basic simplicity and the elimination of the ornate. Things expressing simplicity are by their nature truthful and reserved. Kanso involves a sense of cleanliness, things which are fresh and neat, frank but never over-embellished. Things of Kanso nature are never florid in style.


                                                      (Really, need I say more?)


H/T to the following folks: Good God Truth and Beauty,  Minimal, and Bonsai Beauty.

And Mary, did I forget to say "Thank you?"  Thank you!

Thanks also to Midnight Rider at Infidel Bloggers Alliance

9 comments:

  1. Heh. Kanso is good, seriously good. Apropos of everything... I used to have this card pinned over my desk in the way-back that read something like "If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, what does a completely CLEAN desk mean?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that somewhere along the way, I raised this girl right. We are planning a wedding for her set for October 9th, and her fiancé's grandmother has been quite helpful and encouraging. Mary herself, being pregnant, has become averse to any and all kinds of messes....life for Jimmy is going to be hard if his maw is a neat-freak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super congratulations to both you and your daughter! I've always enjoyed the vignettes of life and such you post here, Tasty Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knowing that I'm loved by you, Teresa has made my day! I hope you found something in this mild rant that you can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, like everything...in particular, the desk pictures.

    Thank you for that post.
    Barely a week from now, "Grannygeddon" will occur at my house. Somehow, someway, I agreed to host my mother(NYC) and mother-in-law(FL) at the same time. For 5 days. In rural northern Maine.
    Please pray for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Teresa! Bless you for taking that on! I am going to write an essay about the wedding from hell. Thankfully, it was only my sister's and not mine. But the inlaws hated each other, and it made for a hellish experience for all...in rural northern Montana! How much we have in common!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the Grannies get along okay and don't complain about the frigid weather, being from Florida, or the podunkiness, the other being from NYC.
    You have my hearfelt prayers, teresa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much, Jewel. I love my mother-in law. My mother is a bit more difficult to take. Thankfully, they like eachother and my mother-in-law will set my mother straight when she insists on tablecloths and cloth napkins at every meal.

    I plan to take them to a local town fair for the baby parade and mashed potato wrestling.

    May the best granny win!

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, say something!