Monday, March 12, 2012

Gone in a Jiffy


Recipe: 2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix
2 extra large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 half stick of melted butter

Mix in 50 strokes. Batter will be lumpy. Don't over mix. Let it set for a few minutes and put a knob of butter in your screaming hot skillet as it is still in the oven. With a thick oven mitt, rotate the skillet until the butter is all melted and then pour the batter quickly into the very hot skillet. Close up the oven and bake for about 20 minutes until dry and cracked on top, with the sides all crispy and golden brown.

If you don't eat the whole skillet at dinner, just remove it from the skillet and wrap it in plastic and then eat a piece for breakfast. Cold milk and sugar. Can't be beat.

So why am I writing about this little box of loving spoonfuls? Because it is what thrifty housewives buy. In the 80s, when I got married, the box cost a mere 15 cents or so. In the 90s, it was up to 28 cents a box. Last year, it went up to 39, then 50, and last night, I stared, wanting to cry, at this little box of gold: 75. Cents. No kidding. 

All good things must come to an end, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. ...I remember 'em at 10 cents each, when I was first married the first time. (Don't ask.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do I. WAAAY back in the day.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there, say something!